Re-post on volunteering, originally posted June 10, 2013.
Last week I wrote of one of my first volunteer experiences as a Delivery Driver for Meals on Wheels. My route was in Alden, Iowa. I still remember several of the seniors I delivered to even though that was well over 30 years ago (and a reason it’s not on my current resume!)
Delivering warm food to someone’s door was great! I received warm greetings and countless thank yous. Still to this day when I drive by one particular farm house on highway D 20 leading into Alden…I remember him and smile.
I enjoyed the work because I love senior citizens! I got great experience driving, meeting older people and working with a crew. I loaded the meals at St. Mark’s Catholic Church (we’re talking Iowa Falls – my hometown), and off I went on my route.
I drove my mom’s car (it was a Plymouth Champ) to deliver!
Plus, I learned how to reach out to people who because of disabling condition are unable to be out in their community nearly as much as they had in the past. That’s hard on a person. I have deep respect for people who have worked hard for so long and retired (…retirement’s been awhile for mom and dad, and g’pa Jimmy too!)
Wisdom is endless!
Stop and think about one of your favorite volunteer activities. Meals on Wheels was one of mine…..maybe someday I’ll be able to deliver again. Or, idea, maybe one day I’ll deliver communion to people who are “home-bound”. I really want to do that! My mom and dad deliver communion to Catholic people who live in a care center, on that same highway leading into Iowa Falls from Alden!
Here’s a listing of the volunteer work I’ve engaged in within the last decade or two! It’s helpful to process your experiences no matter how long ago as you can learn more about yourself in retrospect!
- Band Boosters ~ North High School (2010-2013)
- Chair ~ Job Placement Network (2006-2008)
- Communion Minister ~ All Saints Catholic Church (current)
- Group Facilitator ~ Tobacco Smoking/Chewing Cessation (1993-1996)
- Interview Committee Member ~ North High School (2013)
- Secretary ~ North High School Debate Parent Association (2005-2006)
- Secretary ~ Iowa Falls High School Class of 1981 Reunion Committee (2011)
- Speaker ~ School/Community on Education, Health Priorities & Success (current)
- Sponsor ~ Pre-Marriage Couples (current)
- Teacher ~ Youth Faith Formation (10 years) / Faith Formation Typist (2 years)
- Treasurer ~ Des Moines Commuter Club (1993-1995)
- Serve as “guinea pig” for counseling practicum students (current)
- Vocational assistance to incarcerated adults (2011-2012)
Click here to read a bit more about volunteering!
My professional rehabilitation counseling practice is focused on helping people find a place in the workforce