Rehabilitation counselors are the only professional counselors educated and trained specifically to serve individuals with disabilities.
The above statement and the following information is provided by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification scope of practice:
Rehabilitation counselors assist individuals with physical, mental, developmental, cognitive, and emotional disabilities to achieve their personal, career and independent living goals in the most integrated setting possible. We engage in a counseling process which includes communication, goal setting, and beneficial growth or change through self-advocacy, psychological, vocational, social and behavioral interventions.
Rehabilitation counselors utilize many different techniques and modalities, including assessment, diagnosis and treatment planning, counseling, case management, and advocacy to modify environmental and attitudinal barriers, placement-related services, and utilization of rehabilitation technology.
Rehabilitation counselors utilize a systematic process which assists persons with physical, developmental, cognitive, and emotional disabilities to achieve their personal, career, and independent living goals in the most integrated setting possible through the application of the counseling process. The counseling process involves communication, goal setting, and beneficial growth or change through self-advocacy, psychological, vocational, social, and behavioral interventions.
The specific techniques and modalities utilized within this rehabilitation counseling process may include, but are not limited to:
* assessment and appraisal;
* diagnosis and treatment planning;
* career counseling;
* individual and group counseling treatment interventions focused on facilitating adjustment to the medical and psycho-social impacts of disability;
* case management and service coordination;
* providing consultation and access to rehabilitation technology.
* interventions to remove environmental, employment and attitudinal barriers;
* program evaluation and research;
* consultation services among multiple parties and regulatory systems;
* job development and placement services, including assistance with employment and job accommodations
And of course, network with others who are also in the helping professions!
Contact me Amy Botkin, MS, CRC, CLCP at 515-778-0634 or email@example.com to learn more about what I can do to help you help your client.